Here’s the new(v2) that was launched last night. The device features a number of minor updates on the previous unit, and really does address many of the issues and concerns that have been raised against the original unit. In particular:
- The device now turns on, powers on all radios, and auto-connects to , instead of needing 3 button presses.
- The device now features an OLED screen, with information on data usage (from that session), WiFi status (including number of connected clients), SMS messages. When the screen turns off, the green power light on the power button still lit for immediate visibility of the fact the device is turned on.
- The management is now all performed from a web browser interface (the old Windows management tool which only worked when connected via a cable is no more); this means Mac, Linux, / support is all there and working out the box. This also now allows access to the microSD card reader from all devices.
- / Huawei have improved the battery life of the device, but due to the screen needing more power than 4 lights it has roughly the same usage time, although battery charging has been reduced by around 20%.
- Also, you can use it whilst charging (as opposed to the old unit), and have moved from miniUSB to microUSB in line with most (but not all) mobile phone manufacturers.
- In terms of the new device, it will go on sale on 2 July for the same price as the current unit. As stocks of the old unit run out, the In Car and bundles will update to the new unit too.
For existing users of the current device, there are no upgrade plans, although you can simply buy the device on PAYG and move your current SIM across to the new unit. One thing though;are considering releasing a firmware update for the current device which would enable the 1 button startup (ie basically it turns on the auto-connect feature). Experiments with this though have indicated this may reduce battery life a little.
Overall, this device has resolved the concerns of the old unit, is styled more in keeping with tech nowadays, and is well worth considering.
Finally, thanks to @for arranging the event, and even providing cupcakes…