Keeping with the Maps theme, Nokia have released (through theprogramme) another beta update to Ovi Maps. v3.08 brings a number of new features (over the earlier v3.07 beta):
- Live traffic routing takes traffic information into account to avoid traffic jams automatically (available in Germany, France, US, UK and Russia).
- Turn on “Avoid traffic” in your “Route settings” to take traffic conditions into account while you drive. Always get the best route for right now.
- New Drive look & feel – home screen now has buttons for “Set destination,” “Drive home” and “Just drive.”
- “Just drive” or Drive assistance shows your accurate speed, gives speed warnings, the distance driven and real time traffic.
- New information bar on Drive navigation and Drive assistance screens.
- Also easily toggle between Estimated Time of Arrival in minutes or distance to your destination – just tap the icon on the screen.
- New option menus in Drive.
- Set a contact as a destination.
- Easily change your settings during Drive navigation. Changes in settings are immediate and can been seen instantly.
- Long tap is now available to give quick access to “Drive to,” “Walk to,” “Share” and various lists.
- Settings reorganized to “General” “Maps & Walk” and “Drive.”
One key point; this is a Symbian^3 only product, so if you are a Symbian S60 5th Edition (aka Symbian^1) user, then you won’t be able to get this update. We’ve already seen S60 v3 devices limited to v3.04 Ovi Maps, and now S60 v5 device are unlikely to progress beyond v3.06; what’s not so clear is whether and for how long we’ll see map updates for these elder clients.
I believe the latest maps available for v3.04 are from 2010, whereas the maps for v3.06 haven’t been updated since Feb 2011